Friday, October 31, 2008

First week in First grade

This week was my first week in first grade. I did not realize how much i would absolutely love it! I also didn't realize what first grade was like. I guess it has been a while since I've been there (like 15 years or so). This week we began our month longth expedition into the schools. I am in Mrs. Parker's class at Copperview Elementary School in Sandy, UT. Actually it might be in Midvale, I can't remember. Our school is a Title One School, but I'm not exactly sure what that means. I know we are in an area of low economic status and low income. About half of the kids in my class are ESL (English Second Language) students and many of them are hispanic. Because of the economic status of our school, we don't have the nicest school.
Despite the low status of our school, our school did just get remodeled and they inserted a lot of nice technological gadgets that are useful in the classroom. All of the classrooms are now equipped with microphones for the teachers. I think these are great ideas!! None of the rooms have overhead projectors anymore, but they do have these amazing devices (can't remember their names). They are cameras that connect to the display screen in the front of the class. No matter what you put under the camera, the students can see. It's very clear, easy to use, and in color. I am excited to try and use it.
I teach my first lesson on Monday and I get to use the Camera-View option. I am very excited to use it becuase it makes working with the kids really easy. I hope I don't have too many problems. We are going to be reading a story about Animals in the Cold. It should be interesting.
What I love about first grade right now is how eager the children are to learn. They also have this strong desire to make their teachers happy. They all want to show us their projects, read with them, play games with them, and be around them. It is amazing how happy I am when I am there. I thought that I would not really like first grade because of how young they were and because of how many basics I would have to teach them. After spending 3 days with them, my opinion has changed to the complete opposite. I love everything about first grade. I don't know if I necessarily want to teach it, but I know that it's a possibility. I love all the kids and I know most of their names already. They truly are sent from Heaven.

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Awesome! I bet the kids just love you. First grade is what Hadley is in right now...wierd! What grade were you thinking of eventually teaching?

Hey, my Skype phone batteries are dead, that's why I didn't call you Fri. Hopefully they'll be done and I can call you your Sat morning. Talk to you soon!!

Jen said...

cute em! wow, all that technology in the classroom is awesome. i had no idea. and if you love the kids that much, i'm sure they feel the exact same about you! oh happy.

Tara said...

I'm so glad you love your first graders so much! I bet they love you just as much! You're amazing! XOXO