Saturday, October 25, 2008

13 colonies

For IP&T this week, we created a tour on Google Earth. I decided to make my tour of some of the 13 original colonies (5th grade social studies, standard 1 obj. 1). I found out a lot of interesting information while doing this project about the different colonies. I also learned a lot about google earth. I found it interesting that I could put an image on top of the map that I was looking at. I also used the rule to measure different lengths between the colonies. I would use this tool in my classroom to teach the students about the different colonies and the order in which they developed. I think it would be a lot more interesting than just talking about it. I looked at one person's tour and they did different mountain areas in Utah - I thought this was a great idea, especially if you teach in Utah. Another group went through where Lewis and Clark traveled. I thought it was interesting how they marked the path they followed. All of these can help children be more excited about learning.

No comments: